Frequently Asked Questions2023-03-01T16:16:25-06:00
Where can I park at 1801 Main Street?2023-07-14T08:59:04-05:00

1801 Main Parking Garage Notice

  • The entrance to 1801 Main Street’s parking garage is located along the Fannin St side of the building. Guest parking is available on the 1st floor (Right gate) or 2nd floor (Left and Middle gate) in the spots marked for guest parking.
  • Parking on the 1st floor is limited and will require you to exit the garage and re-enter on Fannin St to access the 2nd floor parking. In the event all of the guest spots are occupied, the top floor of the garage is also available for guest parking.
Who do I contact for media inquiries?2023-03-01T15:49:25-06:00

For all media inquiries, please call Houston Public Works Media: 832-395-3400 or email

Is fishing allowed on or along CWA facilities/properties?2023-03-01T15:49:17-06:00

No fishing is allowed on or along CWA facilities/properties.

When are CWA’s board meetings? Are they open to the public?2023-03-01T15:51:34-06:00

Coastal Water Authority holds its regular meeting of the Board of Directors on the 2nd Wednesday of every month at 10:00 A.M. Meetings are open to the public and are located in the CWA Conference Room at 1801 Main St, Suite 800, Houston, TX 77002. (Note: For those board meeting days that fall on a Holiday, please check CWA’s website for the revised meeting date – the start time will remain at 10:00 A.M.)

Please check the meetings page for agendas and minutes of the meetings.

How can I request to make a public comment?2023-03-01T15:52:39-06:00

A request for public comment can be made through our Contact Us form or speakers can sign in on the Public Comments sheet on the day of the board meeting. Preferably, notice of a public comment should be submitted through the website a week prior to the next scheduled board meeting. Public comments received after the meeting has started will not be permitted. Please note that speakers are limited to 2 minutes.

How do I submit an Easement & Right-of-Way Encroachment Permit?2023-03-01T15:54:57-06:00
  • Applicants can apply for a permit on our Permit Request Form located on the Permits section of our website. A completed Easement & Right-of-Way Encroachment application, proposed construction drawings, and any supporting documents (including but not limited to: Maps, Screenshots, etc.) must be uploaded to the form. Failure to upload the required application and supporting documents will result in delays of the permit review.
  • Once an application and supporting documents have been submitted, the administrative fee must be paid prior to receiving an application number. To pay the fee, a check can be made out to “Coastal Water Authority” to the address below. Please accompany the payment with a cover letter referencing the applicant name.

Executive Director
Coastal Water Authority
1801 Main Street, Suite 800
Houston, Texas 77002
Attn: Easement or Consent to Encroach Application

How do I request a Raw Water Service Connection and Contract?2023-03-01T15:58:15-06:00

To obtain raw water from CWA, the applicant request is coordinated though the City of Houston Public Works and Engineering/Planning and Development Services/Houston Water Planning. Potential raw water customers should contact HWP to begin the process.

If approved, you will receive a City of Houston contract number. This contract number is required to apply for a raw water service connection with CWA.

For information about CWA capacity, please send us a General Information message on our Contact Us page.

What are the administrative fees?2023-03-01T15:59:05-06:00

Administrative fees apply towards all Easement & Right-of-Way Encroachment and Raw Water Service Connection Permits. There is a non-refundable $5,000 administrative fee for each pipeline, utility, road, railroad, or other facility crossing a CWA Corridor. The fee does not cover costs associated with the grant of an easement, special encroachment consideration, or review requiring specialized knowledge or consideration for which additional fees may be charged. Fees must be received prior to any application review.

Are there fees for right of entry requests?2023-03-01T15:59:45-06:00

Usage fees will depend on type of use, duration, and effect on CWA easements and right-of-way.

How long is the permit review process?2023-05-04T09:34:26-05:00
  • Easement & Right-of-Way Encroachment and Raw Water Service Connection permit reviews will typically take between 6-8 weeks once the application, drawings, and fee have been received by CWA, but is not guaranteed. Approved drawings and an executed agreement are to be set in place prior to construction commencing.
  • Right of Entry request reviews will typically take between 1-2 weeks after an application and supporting documents have been received by CWA. Usage fees may apply and will depend on the type of use, duration, and effect on CWA easements and right-of-way.
Where can I find water quality reports?2023-03-11T16:12:32-06:00

Water quality reports can be found using USGS’ interactive dashboard.

What is the normal pool level of Lake Houston?2023-03-01T16:03:06-06:00

42.4 ft

What is the current water level in Lake Houston?2024-05-17T16:36:24-05:00

The water level in Lake Houston is 42.86 ft

Lake level updated 06-12-24 11:30 AM
What aquatic vegetation does CWA treat on Lake Houston?2023-03-01T16:08:09-06:00

Coastal Water Authority periodically conduct assessments to target invasive/nuisance species on Lake Houston to protect the City of Houston’s raw water intake structures. CWA does NOT treat private canals or properties. The target species are the following:

  • Floating Type:
    • Water Hyacinth (Eichhornia crassipes)
    • Water Lettuce (Pistia stratiotes)
    • Common/Giant Salvinia (Salvinia molesta)
  • Emerging Type:
    • Crested Floating Heart (Nymphoides crestata)
    • American Lotus (Nelumbo lutea)
  • Submerge Type:
    • Hydrilla (Hydrilla verticillate)
Does CWA remove debris?2023-03-01T16:08:42-06:00

Debris removal from Lake Houston is not a CWA assigned function. The responsibility for any removal of floatable trash or debris in Lake Houston, its channels, or its tributaries would lie with the abutting property owner, their HOA, or can be reported to the City of Houston’s 3-1-1 Help and Information Service.

What weather resources are available?2024-05-16T16:37:12-05:00

The City of Houston Office of Emergency Management

Harris County Flood Warning System

National Weather Service

National Weather Service – Advanced Hydrologic Prediction Service

Go to Top